What is not true regarding bryophytes?

1. Zygote undergoes reduction division immediately
2. Sporophyte is not free living
3. Haploid spores are produced by meiosis
4. The sex organs are multi-cellular
Subtopic:  Bryophytes |
 79%
Level 2: 60%+
Hints

Assertion (A): Bryophytes have not been very successful on land.
Reason (R): The gametophyte is the dominant stage in the alternation of generation in Bryophytes.
 
1. Both (A) and (R) are True and (R) correctly explains (A).
2. Both (A) and (R) are True and (R) does not correctly explain (A).
3. (A) is True; (R) is False
4. Both (A) and (R) are False
Subtopic:  Bryophytes |
 81%
Level 1: 80%+
Please attempt this question first.
Hints

What is the function of the gemmae produced by some liverworts?
1. a water gathering structure
2. a light gathering structure
3. a sexual structure
4. an asexual structure

Subtopic:  Bryophytes | Bryophytes (Liverworts) |
 78%
Level 2: 60%+
Hints

advertisementadvertisement

What would be true regarding structures labelled as A and B in the given diagram of Funaria, a moss?
I: A is the gametophyte and B is the sporophyte.
II: The ploidy of cells in A will be haploid and the ploidy of cells in B will be diploid.
 
1. Only I
2. Only II
3. Both I and II
4. Neither I nor II
Subtopic:  Bryophytes |
 70%
Level 2: 60%+
Please attempt this question first.
Hints
Please attempt this question first.

Consider the given two statements:
Statement I: The sex organ in bryophytes are multicellular
Statement II: Archegonium produces a single egg
 
1. Statement I is correct; Statement II is correct
2. Statement I is correct; Statement II is incorrect
3. Statement I is incorrect; Statement II is correct
4. Statement I is incorrect; Statement II is incorrect
Subtopic:  Bryophytes |
 80%
Level 1: 80%+
Please attempt this question first.
Hints
Please attempt this question first.

Match the plant groups in Column-I with their characteristic reproductive features in Column-II:
Column-I Column-II
A. Angiosperms P. Produce seeds in cones
B. Gymnosperms Q. Produce spores on the underside of fronds
C. Ferns R. Seeds develop inside an ovary, which matures into a fruit
D. Mosses S. Spores develop in capsule at the end of a stalk
Codes:
A B C D
1. P R Q S
2. P R S Q
3. R P Q S
4. R P S Q
Subtopic:  Bryophytes | Gymnosperms |
 66%
Level 2: 60%+
Please attempt this question first.
Hints
Please attempt this question first.

advertisementadvertisement

The given figure shows:
I: The male gametophyte of Marchantia
II: Hair like multicellular, branched true roots on the margins of the plant body.
III: Sexual reproductive cup like structures on the dorsal surface of the plant.
1. Only I is correct
2. Only II is correct
3. Only II and III are correct
4. I, II and III are incorrect
Subtopic:  Bryophytes |
 56%
Level 3: 35%-60%
Please attempt this question first.
Hints
Please attempt this question first.

Where does the early embryonic development of zygote in bryophytes take place?
1. In the Protonema. 2. In the Sporangium.
3. In the Antheridium. 4. In the Archegonium.
Subtopic:  Bryophytes |
 59%
Level 3: 35%-60%
Please attempt this question first.
Hints
Please attempt this question first.

Which of the following will be true for both bryophytes and pteridophytes?
1. They reproduce only asexually
2. They are vascular cryptogams
3. They have a dominant gametophyte
4. They require water for fertilisation
Subtopic:  Bryophytes | Pteridophytes |
 87%
Level 1: 80%+
Please attempt this question first.
Hints
Please attempt this question first.

advertisementadvertisement

A plant shows thallus level of organization. It shows rhizoids and is haploid. It needs water to complete its life cycle because the male gametes are motile. Identify the group to which it belongs to.

1. Pteridophytes 2. Gymnosperms
3. Monocots 4. Bryophytes
Subtopic:  Bryophytes |
 89%
Level 1: 80%+
Hints