What is number of net ATP molecules gained during fermentation of one glucose molecule in human muscle cells?
1. 2
2. 4
3. 6
4. 10
Subtopic:  Glycolysis |
 85%
Level 1: 80%+
Please attempt this question first.
Hints
Please attempt this question first.

The enzymatic machinery to partially oxidize glucose without the help of oxygen is present in:
1. All living organisms
2. All prokaryotes only
3. Prokaryotes and obligate anaerobes only
4. Facultative and obligate anaerobes only

Subtopic:  Glycolysis |
 65%
Level 2: 60%+
Hints

In glycolysis:
I: ATP is utilised at two steps: first in the conversion of glucose into glucose 6-phosphate and second in the conversion of fructose 6-phosphate to fructose 1, 6-bisphosphate.
II: ATP is produced at two steps: first in the conversion of BPGA to 3-phosphoglyceric acid (PGA), and second during the conversion of PEP to pyruvic acid.
1. Only I is correct
2. Only II is correct
3. Both I and II are correct
4. Both I and II are incorrect
Subtopic:  Glycolysis | Glycolysis Regulation |
 90%
Level 1: 80%+
Please attempt this question first.
Hints
Please attempt this question first.

advertisementadvertisement

Regarding the transition [link] reaction:
I: It occurs in the matrix of mitochondria.
II: It links glycolysis to the Krebs cycle.
III: Two oxygen molecules are given off from glucose.
IV: Four NADH molecules are formed from the reaction.

1. Only I and II are correct
2. Only III and IV are correct
3. Only I and III are correct
4. Only II and IV are correct
Subtopic:  Glycolysis | Glycolysis Regulation | Kreb's Cycle |
 90%
Level 1: 80%+
Please attempt this question first.
Hints
Please attempt this question first.

Phosphorylation [formation of ATP from ADP and inorganic phosphate] takes place in:
A: ER
B: Golgi apparatus
C: Mitochondria
D: Chloroplasts
1. Only A and B
2. Only C and D
3. Only A and C
4. Only B and D
Subtopic:  Glycolysis | Glycolysis Regulation |
 95%
Level 1: 80%+
Please attempt this question first.
Hints

What number would in represented by ‘X’ in the given equations?
I: \(\mathrm{C_6H_{12}O_6} → 2~ \text {pyruate} + \text{X} \text {ATP}\)
II: \(\mathrm{C_6H_{12}O_6} → 2~ \text {lactate} + \mathrm{X} \text {ATP}\)
III: \(\mathrm{C_6H_{12}O_6} → 2~ \text {alcohol} + 2 \mathrm{CO_2}+\mathrm{X} \text {ATP}\)
 
1. 2
2. 4
3. 6
4. 1
Subtopic:  Glycolysis | Glycolysis Regulation |
 81%
Level 1: 80%+
Please attempt this question first.
Hints
Please attempt this question first.

advertisementadvertisement

What is the metabolic fate of pyruvate?
1. It is the end product of glycolytic pathway
2. It is reduced to acetyl CoA in the presence of oxygen
3. It depends on the cellular needs
4. It is decarboxylated in the cytosol

Subtopic:  Glycolysis |
 60%
Level 2: 60%+
Hints

Sucrose is converted into glucose and fructose by the enzyme:
1. Lactase
2. Zymase
3. Diastase
4. Invertase
Subtopic:  Glycolysis |
 95%
Level 1: 80%+
Please attempt this question first.
Hints
Please attempt this question first.

The step in the glycolytic pathway where NADH + H+ is formed from NAD+ is when:
1. fructose 1, 6-bisphosphate is split into dihydroxyacetone phosphate and 3-phosphoglyceraldehyde (PGAL)
2. 3-phosphoglyceraldehyde (PGAL) is converted to 1, 3-bisphosphoglycerate (BPGA)
3. BPGA is converted to 3-phosphoglyceric acid (PGA)
4. PEP is converted to pyruvic acid
Subtopic:  Glycolysis |
 81%
Level 1: 80%+
Please attempt this question first.
Hints
Please attempt this question first.

advertisementadvertisement

Consider the given two statements:
Statement I: ATP formation by glycolysis requires oxygen
Statement II: ATP can be formed through substrate-level phosphorylation and this process requires a high-energy phosphate group that is transferred directly to ADP.

1. Statement I is correct; Statement II is correct
2. Statement I is incorrect; Statement II is correct
3. Statement I is correct; Statement II is incorrect
4. Statement I is incorrect; Statement II is incorrect
Subtopic:  Glycolysis | Glycolysis Regulation |
 75%
Level 2: 60%+
Please attempt this question first.
Hints
Please attempt this question first.